How to set up DEWA account or how to set up DEWA online?
- A few copies of documents
- Refundable deposit.
- 110 Dirhams fees
Yes, It’s that simple!
While you might be new to Dubai you need to know who is DEWA?
DEWA is an acronym for Dubai Electricity and Water Authority. DEWA Provides Dubai with both electricity and water.
If you know all of that already, let’s get into the core directly.
Additionally, if you’re into infographics, you can quickly check the DEWA infographic, that we prepared for you in this post.
Here’s the deal:
In order to set up DEWA account, you will need to:
- Submit the required documents.
- Provide the required information (By filling DEWA new connection application form).
- Pay DEWA security deposit.
- Pay DEWA connection fees.
And what are the required documents to set up DEWA account?
- A copy of :
- The tenant’s passport (in this case it’s yours)
- The landlord’s passport (The house’s owner)
- Signed Tenancy contract
- Title Deed or Affection plan (You can get that from the landlord of your house)
- DEWA new connection application form
What is DEWA new connection application form? and where can you find it?
It’s a simple A4 paper form that you need to fill in some general information about you and the premise.
You can find DEWA new connection application form pdf on DEWA official website, or save time by going to this link:
then, go to ‘Forms and Documents‘ and download the form normally named “Activation of Electricity and Water Service (Move-in) for Residential Expatriate customers”
DEWA premise number:
One very important information you need to know to fill in your DEWA new connection application form, which is DEWA premise number (Don’t mix it with Ejari number).
You can find the DEWA premise number on the side of your property’s entrance. It’s usually a black square stuck high on the side of the entrance door from the outside.
What if the property is leased by the company?
It happens a lot that the company rents the apartment/villa for the employee and in this case, you’d need some additional documents to complete your DEWA registration:
- N.O.C. (No Objection Certificate) issued by the company.
- A copy of the company’s Trade license.
- And finally, a passport copy of the company’s authorized signatory.
Now that you got all the above, You’re all set to setup your DEWA account!
You can either go to DEWA office and ask for DEWA account or do it from anywhere through DEWA online registration.
DEWA Refundable Deposit:
DEWA security deposit is mandatory, yet it’s subject for refund upon vacating the premise. It means when you leave the apartment and you don’t need the DEWA connection there anymore, you can claim your DEWA deposit refund, but the trick you need to know here that you can only get it with the original receipt.
There are two different refundable deposits depending on what kind of premise you’re renting:
Apartment : AED 2,000
Villa: AED 4,000
In order to complete setting up your DEWA account, you’d need to pay an amount of AED 110 non-refundable, or what’s so-called “setup charges”.
How long does it take to set up DEWA?
After you submit your documents, pay DEWA deposit and setup charges (and so set up your DEWA account), your connection will be activated within 24 hours.
How to set up Dewa online
- Online Application Submission Fill-in the online application form with required information.
- Mandatorily required attachments are Tenancy Agreement Passport with Valid Visa Page/Trade License. You will be required to pay Security Deposit online using ePay. (Info from DEWA website)
Important Numbers, Email, and Website to Remember:
Toll-free DEWA contact number: 800900 – Dewa customer care contact: for any queries, clarifications, and complaints on Dubai Municipality Housing Fees.
Tel: +971 4 601 9999 – for queries, complaints, and feedback on DEWA services.
www.dewa.gov.ae – the official website of DEWA for registration and DEWA online registration and bill payment
Fax: +971 4 324 8111 – if you want to send documents related to your service.
And as a wrap of all, you may download this cool DEWA infographic, as your cheat sheet for everything mentioned above
On the other hand, you might just need to move into a new house (apartment or villa).
In such a case, you don’t need to cancel your DEWA account, but rather transfer it.
Can you transfer DEWA?
Yes, you can! here’s how:
How to transfer DEWA account?
DEWA has a news service “DEWA Move To service “, that facilitates the whole process of transferring your Dewa account to your new address.
It gets better:
You can transfer DEWA online by visiting the DEWA website and download their smart application.
DEWA Move To service allows you to transfer your DEWA account just by submitting the Ejari tenancy contract for the new property.
Once the new Ejari contract is submitted, an automatic transfer order is created.
This can be also be done through DEWA’s customer happiness centers. Here you can find the closest DEWA office.
The best part?
DEWA Move To service will transfer DEWA deposit along with the account. So you don’t have to bear any new deposit when moving unless the amount required for the new property exceeds the current one.
This means if you’re moving from an apartment to another apartment you won’t have to pay anything, but if you’re moving from an apartment to a villa then you’ll need to compensate the difference in the deposit.
Last but not least,
How to cancel DEWA connection? DEWA Disconnection
In case you are moving out of the UAE, or you just need to cancel Dewa account, You can use either the online Dewa cancellation or just normally visit the DEWA Customer Care Center (Dewa Customer Service).
DEWA deactivation charges
You’ll need to pay fees of AED 100 for disconnecting electricity & water for small meters. And AED 300 for large meters.
As well as, 10 AED knowledge fees & 10 AED innovation fees.
How do you cancel DEWA online?
Dewa cancellation process became easy!
The service in their application is called (DEWA Move-Out) where you can just use DEWA smart application and pick Move-Out option and follow the procedure.
This way DEWA saves you the time and answers the frequently asked questions like: “What do I need to cancel DEWA” or “How can I cancel my DEWA account”, by a couple of touches on your smartphone.
DEWA Online Cancellation (DEWA Move Out)
Simply, visit Dewa online website, and follow these simple steps for DEWA cancellation & disconnection:
1. Log in with your User ID and password.
2. Hover on your name up right and select De-activation of Electricity and Water (Move-Out) from the menu.
3. Select your contract account, in case a clearance certificate is required, click on the checkbox.
4. Pay DEWA bill (any outstanding) amount via Dewa online payment, along with clearance certificate charges (if you selected in the previous step).
5. After the payment confirmation, enter a Move Out date, phone number and method of security deposit refund (IBAN/Cheque).
6. Click submit.
Refund (if any such as security deposit) will be processed via IBAN / Cheque, as you selected earlier.
How To Close Dewa Account offline?
As we mentioned above you can also visit DEWA customer care center (Dewa customer service) by visiting one of the DEWA offices near to you.
- Notify via email/fax or visit a Customer Happiness Centre before vacating the premises with the following required documents & details:
- Customer Account Number (Your Dewa account number)
- Date of disconnection
- Mobile Number (UAE Mobile Number)
- Emirates ID
2. Once your DEWA Move out (Deactivation of Electricity and Water Service) request is created, you will receive an email with a link that allows you to select the refund option (Cheque / IBAN). This way you already made DEWA final bill request.
3. Payment / Refund:
- Final Bill Settlement: You can pay the amount of DEWA final bill through DEWA online payment or in cash at any DEWA Customer care centers (Customer Happiness Centres).
- Security Deposit Refund: Any refund (Like security deposit refund), after the settlement of final bill amount, will be processed via IBAN/Cheque, as selected previously.
Now that you know how to cancel DEWA, we’d like to show you some wrap-up benefits of using Dewa online services.
Dewa online services
Electricity & Water Management Services:
- This is where you can create a new account (You simply can sign up online).
- Activation of Electricity & Water – Dewa Move In service: This is where you can activate the new account after you move in.
- De-activation of Electricity and Water – Move-out: We already mentioned that before in cancellation of Dewa connection.
- Transfer of Electricity and Water – Dewa Move-to service: We also mentioned this service while talking about account transfer.
Pay for a friend:
You can pay your bill on behalf of your friend or family member, quickly.
View & Pay DEWA online:
View and Pay your DEWA bills quickly and securely using Dewa Online Payment service.
In the end, don’t forget to show keep your original receipt of DEWA refundable deposit that you paid when you set up DEWA if you really want to refund DEWA deposit on cancellation. 🙂
Feel free to share with us your experience or ask anything related to setting up DEWA, or transferring it, or even canceling it in the comment section.